Time Machine Backup is always the same size and is really slow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haravikk, Oct 26, 2009.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

I've recently re-jigged my system and upgraded to Snow Leopard. I've manually restored everything I want from a Time Machine back-up and am now back in business on my main drive.

However, I now want to re-enable Time Machine but I'm having some problems; every time I back-up the total size is the same! I've excluded all the things I don't want, such as system-files, applications folder, developer folder, virtual machines folder, and a folder I use for large downloads (so they're not backing up at different stages).

Every time though the total back-up size is calculated as the total data on my drive, minus the things I've excluded, and it crawls along at only a few kilobytes to a megabyte or so per-second! For a volume with just under a terabyte of data that's an awful long time.

This doesn't seem right though, as it means that my back-up volume is just going to full up after a couple of back-ups are taken, which is unacceptable. Anyone know what can be done about this?

Both the internal and external volume are Journaled HFS+, my only though really is that the back-up drive already has Time Machine files on it, indeed the biggest portion of my files (about 850gb) is already on the drive in the exact-same folder structure as I'm using now, so those files shouldn't even need to be backed up!

2. Sebinho9 macrumors newbie

Me too

I have the same problem. I am running an old style Macbook pro which I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

I have a 320gb external drive and every time I update it (once a day) it always changes around 16.52gb at a really slow rate, no matter what I have done during the day.

It's really painful as what used to be quick backups have slowed to painful proportions with 10.6.2.

It was fine before that update.

Ideas?

3. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I have the same problem. Like today it is backing up around 45GB! Obviously i didn't add that much in like 3 days. For some reason a lot of files keep changing dates or somehow it thinks they changed while they didn't.

?