Time Machine backup larger than my HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iAlexG, Aug 22, 2010.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I deleted my Time Machine backup and started again. But when I selected the newly blank drive to backup on i was told 504GB's was needed for the backup and i only had 495 free (Iomega 500GB HD). But my MBP's HDD is 500GB and has like 100GB's free? Whats this 104GB extra?

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

3. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

weird... I assume you have emptied your trash bin, and erased the external drive (using disk utility)...

have you tried using Whatsize or OmniDiskSweeper to find any hidden big files in your computer and/or the external drive?

other than that, I can't think of something else...

good luck

5. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Yep I empty my trash everyday or so and i erased using Disk Utility. I'll try looking for big files later. Thanks

6. dbmnk macrumors member

I have the same problem, only my hdd is only 160 GB, but Time Machine tells my I need some 400 GB on my backup disk, and that my Total Included backup will be 378.1 GB.

Like you I did the Disk utility erase of my backup disk in order to accomodate the problem when first encountered due to some structural changes on my mac hdd. I have emptied the bin and done a restart.

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Time Machine backup drive should be about twice the size of the drive you're backing up. Rough rule of thumb.

Since you're closer to 1 to 1 data size to backup drive size, perhaps SuperDuper or CCC are a better option.
    Just my $0.02

8. dbmnk macrumors member

Thanks, my mac has 160GB and my backupdrive the same. This has worked flawless for years until now after I changed my mac hdd partitition from two to one.

I'd prefer if I could just continue using the same backupdrive, aint there some sort of way to reset timemachine so I could backup from scratch?

Should be noted I have filevault turned on, and apparently filevault only protects the home folder and not additional partititions - hence I collected all my files in the home-folder. Perhaps filevault protected files require double the backup-space?

9. dbmnk macrumors member

Ok, I better clarify:

Before:
    TimeMachine works great.

Conditions:
    160 GB Mac HDD, 160 GB Backup drive.
    Filevault turned on.
    Mac HDD in two partititions; Home ~60GB, Media ~100GB, both partititions ~80% full.
    Noticed TimeMachine said that the "Total Included" backup size exceeded my Mac HDD size, but didn't react since everything seemed to work fine.

Realized the Media wasn't protected by filevault (apparently), so collected the partititions in one now Home

Now:
    TimeMachine refuses to backup, but seems to be willing to backup when logging out, but I cannot access the backup when logged in.

Conditions:
    160 GB Mac HDD, 160 GB Backup drive.
    Filevault turned on.
    Mac HDD in one partitition; Home.
    HDD ~80% full.
    "Total Included" backup size: 375GB