Time Machine backup multiple drives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TyWahn, Nov 2, 2009.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I have all of my music/videos on an external Maxtor 750 GB USB drive. I have all of my photos on the 750 GB internal drive of my iMac.
    I want to get a 2 TB external for BU purposes.
    Can I set time machine to BU both 750 GB drives on the 2 TB drive?
    Is there a better way to do this?
    Thanks..

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes, this is very possible. Just have to have both of your drives in the Time Machine prefs.

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Thanks for the reply. I have my Aperture vault going to the external already, and I just may move the library to it as well. But I have this enormous internal drive that would be going to waste. I still want to BU the internal obviously because thats where all my apps are.
    Can you think of a more efficient way of doing this? I just figured setting up a mirror BU would be better than burning tons of DVDs. I just wasn't sure about the multiple drives with Time Machine.
    Is there a better alternative to Time Machine? I probably would just do weekly syncs. Possibly even bi-weekly.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

ChronoSync is what I used to use before Time Machine. But it really is pointless now because Time Machine is so automated and easy to use, and you literally never have to think about it. Time Machine definitely has room for improvement in the options, but for what you are asking about, this shouldn't affect you.

TM has an "exclusion" list where you put things you don't want to get backed up, and I would like an "inclusion" list as well because sometimes it's easier to say what you want backed up rather than all the things you don't. Again, this shouldn't affect you if you're backing up both drives entirely.

As for scheduling when you want TM to backup, you'll have to use TimeMachineEditor or some other 3rd party app. TM will backup every hour whether you like it or not.

5. admo macrumors member

I'm very new to the whole time machine thing. I have 3 drives in my mac, a 1TB drive that has snow leopard on it. A 250GB drive that has Tiger on it, and a 1TB drive that is my backup. It appears that Time Machine is backing up my Tiger disc as well. I'll have to double check. So far, I think Time Machine is great. I rest much easier knowing that I am pretty much backed up to the minute.