Time Machine Backup not recognizing old backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by samirtv, Dec 22, 2012.

1. samirtv macrumors newbie

I just bought an Airport Extreme.

Previously, I've been backing up to a western digital external hard drive via time machine via USB on my MacBook Pro.

Now I connected it via the USB on the Airport extreme, and while it is recognizing it as a drive, it isn't recognizing the old backups.

Any help?

2. bgro macrumors 6502a

Don't think attaching an external drive to the USB port of the Extreme is supported for Time Machine

3. samirtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, it will work, it's just not recognizing that I had done it before via usb.

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

So if you attach an external hard drive to an Airpirt Extreme you are able to do a wirelessTime machine backup? Just curious because I have an Extreme on the way..

5. samirtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but it you've backed up directly via USB for me it isn't recognizing historical backups

6. mfram macrumors 65816

That's correct. When connected via USB, TM creates directories on the disk. But when served over the network, TM maps a "sparsebundle" from the disk (a type of disk image) and writes te data within there. In other words, different formats.

There are probably instructions on how to copy the old data on the Internet. But you'll need to copy the old data to the sparsebundle if you want to see it.