Time Machine Backup not working, Help needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeepstylexx, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jeepstylexx macrumors member

Let me preface this by saying I have spent the last day scouring the internet for solutions to my problem. I have tried every option that I have run across and have had no luck in resolving my problem. As a last resort, I'm turning here in hopes that you can be of help.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro running Moutain Lion. I use an external HD for my time machine backups. I am having an issue with Time Machine not functioning. The initial error message I receive when I attempt to use TM to backup is: "Time machine couldn't coplete the backup to Rick's backup disk". "Unable to complete backup. an error occurred while creating the backup folder".

I searched the forums and net and found several things to do to try and resolve this issue. Disk utility will prompt me that it cannot unmount the disk and will not let me erase, or re-partition the the hard drive, so I switched it over to an older macbook of my girlfriends and am successfully able to erase, and re-partition the drive (using disk utility) as suggested by several forum postings I have read. I am able to run disk verify and disk repair and both say the disk is "ok" with no issues. The moment the erase and partition is done, her computer prompts a message : "Would you like to use this disk for Time Machine Backups" which tells me it is working properly. When I move it back to my macbook pro and attempt to run TM backup, it will now work and copy about 10g of my 120g before shutting down with this error message:

"Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to "Rick's Backup Disk". An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use disk utility to repair your backup disk."

If i attempt to re-run TM at that point, I get the original error message:

"Time machine couldn't coplete the backup to Rick's backup disk". "Unable to complete backup. an error occurred while creating the backup folder".

If I move the TM back to my Girlfriends computer and attempt to run TM, it will function properly and backup her entire harddrive. When I erase and try again on mine, I always end up back with the same issues. It's clearly something in my macbook that is screwing it up. Can anyone please offer some help! I'd be much appreciative.

2. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

Using Console to look at the TM logs, Here is a screenshot of the most recent log activity. I read in another forum this log might help find the issue, but i have no idea what I'm looking at here.

Attached Files:

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I had the same problem with my 2011 MBP. I re-formated my external hdd and created a new partition for my backups, all works fine now. Sounds like a pain in the butt I know, but it worked for me.

4. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I've aleady reformatted the external several times. It still won't work on my macbook pro, but will work fine on my girlfriends. That's why I'm thinking its something not structured right inside my macbook.

5. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You could try removing the preferences file for Time Machine on your MBP in case it got corrupted:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

In step 4 you can remove it in Terminal with

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Have you tried to reboot your computer? Highly unlikely this would work, but you never know :eek:

7. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

yes, rebooted many many times over the past few days.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Steve-P seems to have a good solution, try that.

9. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

I tried this several times yesterday and again now, still not working. :(

10. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

Here's the most recent log from console.. can anyone see from this what's going on?

Attached Files:

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Just call Apple support. Your computer is a 2012 model, use that phone support while you have it.

12. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Have you tried repairing disk permissions on the actual macbook harddrive?

Maybe you don't have access to a file you're attempting to back up due to permission issues. It's a wayyyyy long shot, but I'd try it if you haven't already...

13. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I found out that my time machine external hdd was corrupted after upgrading from lion tried repairing it, took a couple hours. still didnt back up. So i just wiped the whole thing and started new.

So yeah, try disk utility and see what it says!

14. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

My phone support was only valid for 6 months. It's up. They want $45 for a one time call

----------

Is wiping it any different than me formatting it in disk utility?? If not, i've already done that several times.

----------

How do I repair disk permissions on the macbook drive?

----------

OK so i tried repairing permissions on my internal drive and I get this message:

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

15. PacMookBro macrumors regular

If that is the case, make an appointment with Apple Store's Genius Bar (the best option) or Authorized Apple Service Center near you. Your Mac is covered under 1-year standard factory warranty.

16. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just set up an appointment for 4:45 this afternoon.

17. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

That's rediculous.

18. Rocky244 macrumors regular

If that's the only error message you get, then it didn't work, unfortunately.

I would just go up to see a genius at the store, like you probably already did, but also be prepared that he wouldn't be able to help very much. Usually when I go in there, I end up knowing more about the machine than the genius, as some of them are pretty worthless.

But at the very least, theres the possibility he/she can give you new parts or something.

19. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I did spend a while googling to see what I could find out. The only thing I found was the possibility that some external drives may sometimes be going to sleep sooner than they should after last access, and sometimes in the middle of being used. It might be worth going to Energy Saver preferences and making sure that "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" is unchecked, in case that has any bearing on it.