Time Machine backup on 3 HDD's ... suggest the best way to organize this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OceanFrog, Aug 14, 2010.

1. OceanFrog macrumors regular

OK guys, I'm working with 3 HDD's here on Time Machine ... an old 200gb ("journaled case-sensitive") with all my original TM backups, a new 1tb ("journaled") with new TM backups for the last few weeks, and a portable 500gb ("journaled") blank.

There are no problems with the 1tb HDD. What I want is to copy my old TM backups from the 200gb to the portable 500gb (I'll keep the portable in work). As I said above, I have the 500gb drive formatted as "journaled", and so the old TM backups wont copy over from the 200gb drive ("journaled case-sensitive").

QUESTION 1 - is there any way I can copy my old TM backups from my old 200gb "journaled case-sensitive" HDD to my new 500gb "journaled" HDD?

QUESTION 2 - if this is not possible, does it matter if I keep my 500gb drive as a TM backup and have it formatted as "journaled case-sensitive"? My main 1tb HDD is "journaled", and I was under the impression that it was better to have everything formatted as "journaled" (if this is stupid please take be easy on me ... I'm a humble newbie).

Any other suggestions as to how to organize this would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a good home TM backup, and a good work TM backup (and keep the old 200gb HDD for pictures on a different computer).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I used the restore method to move from a 500GB to a 1TB, and it worked fine, if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what the big deal about old backups is? They're nice to have, but hardly necessary.

Mac drives by default are NOT case-sensitive, that's a special option. Not sure how you ended up with it. I just checked an all of mine are just Journaled, not case-sensitive.

4. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ... not sure how I ended up "case sensitive" either.

I'd still like to keep the old backups ... is there any way to do this with my current set-up? I'd like to keep all my drives just "journaled" from now on.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Is the "restore" function in Disk Utility what failed? You can't just copy/paste the files in Finder, since Time Machine has a somewhat odd method of indexing and storing files. If that failed, I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will know.

FYI, The restore is a slow process, I'm not sure if the TM disks are highly fragmented, or if the USB bus gets saturated or what, but give a good overnight to run.