time machine backup on netgear readynas

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by swope1221, May 26, 2015.

1. swope1221 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I keep having this stubborn problem with Time Machine and backing up to my Netgear ReadyNAS. I have tried doing the shared time machine backup share (I have two iMacs) and the private time machine backup (each iMac has their own share). The initial backup goes well and and subsequent backups also go well. I use Time Machine Editor so the iMacs are only back uped once a day, I don't need more than that.

So after as little as a week to sometime as much as a month the backups go fine and then all of the sudden it looks like time machine tries to do another full backup and I get the message seen in the attached file.

It says each full backup will take 130 GB, so I have each iMac allotted 150 GB on my ReadyNAS. I also have unchecked "notify after old backups are deleted." For whatever reason it isn't deleting old backups or something else.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lordboogie macrumors member

Are you really writing that much data? Are you running virtual machines? If so, and they are part of the backup then every time they open time machine will want to backup the entire vm.