Time Machine Backup Partitions??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MPB11, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MPB11 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I started using Time Machine for the first time this week on a 500 go external HDD. Apparently, my backup is using two partitions? I don't get it? When I eject my external HDD it also asks me if I want to eject both partitions. What is this?

thanks a lot

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

sometimes the external HDDs have a separate software partition from the mfgr. Look at the display in disk utility and see what's there.

3. olibraves macrumors newbie

I've actually just started having the same thing. Been using the same HD's for about 2 years now and just recently it starting saying this. Maybe something with the 10.8.2 update?

4. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

When I Have a look in disk utility I see something like this:

Macintosh HD
    - Macintosh HD

My External HDD
    - My external HDD

By the way,I use Filevault for my laptop and my time machine backup is crypted, don't know if it helps.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is normal. I have FV2 and TM encryption on also and mine looks the same way. The first time I saw that double Macintosh HD business I about freaked out! :eek:

What you are seeing there is the actual (normal) partition, then the second virtual partition which is an encrypted disk image. You are fine.

6. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I guess everything is just fine! thanks

I was also wondering how it works? Does it backup daily if my external HDD is plugged in?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine will by default backup hourly as long as the destination disk is present.