Time machine backup performance in SL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benrockwood, Aug 31, 2009.

1. benrockwood macrumors member

benrockwood

Albiet to the claim that the Time machine performance in SL is almost 50% faster than Leopard seems to be not true. The initial backup after the upgrade took almost 45 minutes and incrementals around 15 -20 mins as before.

Anybody else seeing the Time machine backup performance improvement in SL ?

Ben

2. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

Yep.

My initial clean backup (iLife, WoW, iWork, and Office 2008 installed) in Leopard took ~1.5 hrs over USB 2. My initial clean backup for SL took ~50 mins. Though I wonder how much of the time saving could be due to the smaller install footprint of SL, now that I think of it. Hmm.

3. Gaelinic macrumors regular

How does one do a clean backup of Time Machine? Do you just delete the sparsebundle file on that drive? Is that sufficient to erase all your backups and start over?

Also, I have a question about installing Snow Leopard. I'm kind of newb. I was at Apple yesterday and asked about Snow Leopard. I asked if I could do a clean install with the upgrade version. They told me know. But, I come on these boards and people are talking about a clean install. How is that possible with the update version?

4. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

I just did a format of the drive in Disk Utility, after I took everything I wanted off of it, and then set it up as a new Time Machine volume.

The easiest way is to boot off of the SL DVD and then use Disk Utility within the installer to format the drive. Then you proceed with the install and you have a clean setup. There's something else you can do from the updater within Leopard when you stick the disc in, but all it basically does is set the DVD as the boot volume and restart. So either way, it's the same thing.

5. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I've just completed my first TM backup wirelessly to my airport extreme disk.

I backed up 24gig in about 2 hours.

This is much faster than in leopard because the first backup usually took over 30 hours!

6. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Why is this thread in the MacBook forum and not the OS X forum? It has nothing (specifically) to do with the MacBook.