Time Machine Backup Problem + Syncing Folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VaatiKaiba, Jan 14, 2011.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Perhaps its just me being tired, as it seems there should be simple solutions to both of these problems, but I can't find them.

1) I got a new HD, and had it connected to my MacBook and MacBook Air one at a time to do an initial Time Machine backup. However, now I've connected it to my Time Capsule, and pointed them to the same partitions that they backed up to earlier - and they can't see the older backups. Is it possible to get them to see it and only start an incremental backup?

2) I'm also trying to mirror my iTunes library on the new hard drive, but all the methods I've tried so far (ie a couple of Automator actions and various apps) have either failed, or haven't worked properly (one has added several thousand '..DS_Store' files to the folder which aren't there even when I view hidden files!)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

When you set up Time Machine with a local drive, it does a sort of copy, but when you use Time Capsule/some other networked method, it uses a sparseimage. It won't use the original backup made locally.

The DSStore files are created automatically when moving files over a networked drive. You can use an app like Onyx to make it stop doing that.

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgive me, as I'm not too familiar with Onyx - will that stop them being shown or delete them? They're not hidden files, they just seem to be sitting there... It's incredibly odd...

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

It will not delete the one's that are already there. It will however prevent the DSStore files from being created after you set it.

Attached Files:

5. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks, I shall give that a shot in the morning!