Time Machine Backup Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by veryape, Mar 27, 2011.

1. veryape macrumors newbie

So, after months and months of debating I finally ordered my new MBP (13" 2.3). Two things:

1. The only backup files I have of my old MBP is a Time Machine Backup. Is there any way I can get my files off it without actually going thru the Time Machine stuff? This may be dumb, but I remember before just trying to drag and drop the files sometime after my hd failed and it wouldn't work. I kind of want to start fresh on my new computer.

2. Any one who has gone from a 15" MBP to a 13" MBP please convince me that this is gonna be ok. $600 just wasn't worth it to me at this point of my life just for extra screen space when the 13" 2.3 works for all my other needs. But when I was a the apple store yesterday the 13" just seemed so small next to the 15".

Thanks friends.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

#15 through #18 here may prove useful.

3. frank33v macrumors member

15 to 13...

In the store the 15 does not look that large and the 13 does look tiny compared to the 15.

Take this for what it is. It is my first MAC after using windows for about 20 years. My preference is 14" in a laptop but alas Apple does not make one. I wasn't ready to give up any screen real estate and the 15 didn't look to big in the store so I bought one. I didn't need quad core or dedicated graphics, but I like to have many windows open and I wanted to run VMware with WinXP for some legacy apps I need to run. And my eyes are getting a little old. I don't travel much so 15" should have been fine...

I returned it today and brought home a 13" and after spending the better part of the afternoon and evening setting it up, I am happy. Most of my use is spent sitting in the living room with it on my lap in front of the TV and the 15" was just a little to much. It is pretty big once you get it home. Don't get me wrong the large screen is/was awesome, but the weight and keyboard/case was a little to much. Just couldn't get comfortable with it..and I felt a little guilty on paying so much for something I didn't need. I think I also got caught up in having to have the best/fastest processor and graphics card one could buy from apple..but in reality what this 13" provides is plenty for what I do.

If my primary use location was on a desk without an external monitor, I did more gaming or video editting, I think the 15" would have been great.

With the money I saved I will buy more ram and maybe a 7200 rpm hard drive(or SSD if/when the price drops)

RE: Timemachine I am writing my backups to a windows 2003 server share via this method.

http://hupio.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/osx-timemachine-and-sambawindows-share/