Time machine backup ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

My RMBP has been trying to back up to Time Machine on a Seagate USB 3.0 drive for the last 12 hours. It has successfully transferred 13.7 GB's , and has about 75 GB to go. I've never had this problem before with backups from the same computer to the same external drive. What could be going on? Do I really need to wait 3 days for this to finish?

2. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

It took about 8 hours for my first TM backup to run -- 150GB worth. And that was over a network drive. USB 3 should be way faster.

I assume you are plugging in the drive directly to the laptop? No hubs or such that could be an issue?

Trying copying a bunch of finally to the drive manually and see how long it takes. That will give you an idea if it's the drive or something else.

3. anode macrumors newbie

On my rMBP, I backed up 90GB in around an hour with a G-Drive firewire800 drive connected to a thunderbolt port with an adapter cable. This should be slower than your USB 3.0.

Check your time machine preferences. Under options, I excluded system files and applications. At first I had another disk listed that wasn't indexed. It sat for a long time preparing to do the backup. I excluded the disk and it zipped along after that.

Since your transfer is in progress, I'm wondering if your disk isn't fully indexed and it's causing a delay.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

That does seem WAY slow.

What version of Lion/ML are you using? Apple did an update a few months back (Sep I think) which fixed a bug that was causing ultra slow TM backups. I had a similar problem and the update fixed it.