Time Machine Backup size, Can I limit it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I have a 1TB external drive but I want to use half of it to store videos. Is there a way I can tell TM to limit its backup to 500GB?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

3. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

What if I already have some of my movies on it and also some TM back ups? Will the partitioning erase all of that?

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No, HFS+ is able to do that. But you will have to move the movies over to the other partition afterwards.

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I opened Disc Utility but I son't see a partition option. Could you possibly walk me through this?

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

In Disk Utility, click on the the drive (the one with no indent in the list).
    Then go to tab "Partition". Select the one partition in that graphic. Click on the + underneath and highlight the newly created partition. Choose the size and click apply.

7. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I've got to look a little more into this. It just dawned on me to look in the Help section of the Disc utility and it says
    "NOTICE: Partitioning a disk erases all the files on the disk. If want to save any files on the disk, be sure to copy them to another disk before you partition the disk."

I might just have to copy the files back onto my original HD and then re partition the drive...... There should be an easier way I would think. Possibly some sort of maximum size limit in Time Machine. I just want to be safe and not lose any files.

8. WhoPhD macrumors member

The silence from ergdegdeg is deafening!!

Mike, take a look at the second comment after the article on here:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071108020121567

CK.