Time machine backup suddenly not good enough for my 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Category 5, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Category 5 macrumors member

My macbook refused to back up today, stating that the identity of the time machine backup that it has been using for several months has changed identity. It then proceeded to backup the ENTIRE computer again to a new sparsebundle named the exact same thing but with a 1 after it.

I was able to connect to and explore the original backup by pointing time machine to it, but when it backed up next it made the new sparsebundle again.

What gives? How can i force the computer to use the old backup again?

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

3. Category 5 thread starter macrumors member

Still on the latest incarnation of Snow Leopard

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Everyone has to do this. I backed up my old MB with TM and restored my new one with it. No problem there.

However when I wanted to do my most recent backup, I had to start all over because, technically, it isn't the same computer.

Just leave it on, let it do its thing, and each progressive upgrade will only change what you changed on the system.

5. Category 5 thread starter macrumors member

except this isn't a new computer. It's the backup that has been working since February just not working anymore. No new OS, no new time machine...nothing new.

6. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

odd both my mac mini and macbook backed up to their old backups once i went to lion

7. Young Spade, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Young Spade macrumors 68020

EDIT for deletion :/

If the thing still works, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Get the primary backup done and you'll be good to go.