Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Category 5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
My macbook refused to back up today, stating that the identity of the time machine backup that it has been using for several months has changed identity. It then proceeded to backup the ENTIRE computer again to a new sparsebundle named the exact same thing but with a 1 after it.

I was able to connect to and explore the original backup by pointing time machine to it, but when it backed up next it made the new sparsebundle again.

What gives? How can i force the computer to use the old backup again?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Everyone has to do this. I backed up my old MB with TM and restored my new one with it. No problem there.

However when I wanted to do my most recent backup, I had to start all over because, technically, it isn't the same computer.

Just leave it on, let it do its thing, and each progressive upgrade will only change what you changed on the system.

Category 5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
except this isn't a new computer. It's the backup that has been working since February just not working anymore. No new OS, no new time machine...nothing new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.