time machine backup through airport extreme no longer working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RustBuckle, Aug 19, 2009.

1. RustBuckle macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've got a WD mybook hd hooked up to my airport extreme and have been using it for the past three month's to backup my macbook with time machine. Since July 31, it has stopped backing up with the backup's continuously failing. The drive is visible and accessible through finder. In fact, time machine seems to load the backup drive for me to look at backups from July 31 and earlier. It currently just hangs on preparing the drive for backup and then fails. Any suggestions why it stopped backing up 19 days ago for me or what I could do to resolve it? In theory i could restore from my july 31st config but I don't know what folder I would want to be restoring to correct what I'm assuming is a system problem?

2. georgeoommen macrumors regular

I know the latest version of the AE firmware (7.2 i think) broke the time machine backups. Check in airport utility if you're on the latest firmware and if you are try reverting to the one just beore that. Doing this restored the backup feature for me.

3. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Mine is backing up just fine. Here's what you should do:
    - Go into AirPort Utility and disconnect all users from the drive
    - Unplug the drive from your AEBS and connect it directly to your computer through USB
    - Open Disk Utility, select the USB drive, and click on "Repair Disk"
    - Eject the drive from your Mac and reconnect it to the AEBS

It should start backing up again

4. RustBuckle thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably a lame question, but if i repair the disk will it wipe all the data off of it?

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Nope. It will mostly fix any files that aren't properly listing you as their owner.

6. RustBuckle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I ended up needing to revert back a version on my firmware and repair the disk before it would backup again but it's now fully working again. I appreciate the contributions on how to solve this problem!

It's pretty rare that I ever have a problem with my mac but if I do I can always count on the helpful and friendly folks here on macrumors forums!

Thanks again! :)