Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noreal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hello,

I have a 2007 Penryn Macbook Pro on 10.6.8 and an External I.O Data 2TB Hard Disk connected to it via USB.

I have accidentally disconnected the 2TB External Disk by allowing the power cable to come out. Unfortunately this happened about three times within a few days. And when that happens of course mac says something like "try to eject it before disconnecting to protect data".

After this happened External Disk is not found under 'Select Disk' in Time Machine Preferences. :confused:

I tried to repair the External Disk through Disk Utility (It does show up in Disk Utility) but it comes back with a message saying 'Disk Utility stopped repairing “2TB HD”', and 'Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.'

The External Disk shows up in the Finder after I have unsuccessfully repaired it under Disk Utility.

My question is how am I to backup these files the best way possible? :eek:

I see folders at the top hierarchy say 'Backups.backupdb' and 'Private'. Do I just dump it on another Hard Disk like a new External Hard Disk (The Time Machine backups are over 1TB and I only have another 500GB External Disk and 750GB on the Mac)?

I am also worried whether in this case some of the files are already corrupted? And could all these files be back in a Time Machine format again? (Instead of Bunch of folder files with dates)

I hope the question is clear enough to understand. Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.