Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dahoopsta, May 7, 2012.

1. dahoopsta macrumors newbie

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8. I upgraded my hard drive last week. When I backup my computer via Time Machine, it only does an incremental backup. How can I get Time Machine to do a full backup without deleting my old backup?

I will delete my old backup after I can do a new full backup, however I just want to make sure I have a usable backup in case something happens while I do a new full backup.

To add a little more info, when I installed the new drive, I imported my settings through the Mac OS X installation disk rather than restoring the new drive from a previous backup.

Thanks

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of Time Machine. Once it's up and running, leave it alone! Time Machine initially backs up the complete internal HDD. It then, at regular intervals, makes incremental backups in order that one can go back to specific dates to see (and restore) whatever occurred on that day. For example, if an Application begins to malfunction or if a particular document is accidentally deleted, Time Machine can be "rewound" to a date when the Application was functioning correctly or the file existed - they can then be restored.

If you require a backup of your HDD it is better to use an Application designed specifically for the purpose such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper