Time machine backups disappeared!?? & MOMENTUS XT MINI REVIEW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple%, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Apple% macrumors newbie

:eek:

Today I decided to 'enter time machine' and check that all was well to find that all previous (bar one) time machine backups had disappeared!!!!

I've recently attempted to 'restore' a new hard drive to the last backup, made three days ago, this is the alternative to cloning. That didn't work, and the system wouldn't boot.

So I cloned my 'old' HDD to the new one using super duper, which worked (although the new drive didn't have as much data as the old, maybe - 9gb or so??).

In addition Time Machine now also says that my TM disk is not large enough to be used as a backup??!

Does anyone know why/how this happens? Is it something to do with restore from a time machine back up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MMT XT

On a happier note, the new drive I purchased and put in, 500gb Momentus XT, has turned my MBP into a ridiculously fast machine, the time from turn on to the system becoming usable is literally 2/3's less. There is no discernable extra noise 7,200 rpm vs 5,400 rpm, and actually less noise as the drive has more room (less buzzing around) and perhaps the programmes I use the whole time are pretty much always the same so some of it is coming out of the flash memory (...maybe, maybe not). So all in all it appears to be working very well, and is recommended.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

My guess is that when you did the cloning, Time Machine now sees your drive as a different computer. Since a Time Machine backup is accessible only by the computer that did the backup, your newly cloned system probably can't access the old data. Was the one backup you can see made after you went through the cloning procedure?

I'm not 100% sure on all of this though, it's just a guess. I would try fiddling around with it (since you can just dig through the hard drive filesystem itself if you are looking for a specific file) before reformatting and starting over. Good luck.

3. Apple% thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas,

the last backup I can see is the very last backup I did before cloning the old drive and installing the new one.

So it appears to recognise that backup.

I thought it might be something to do with the new HDD having a different name, but that doesn't appear to make any difference.....