Time Machine backups for multiple computers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melman101, Dec 18, 2014.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey all,
    I have a friend who is interested in using Time Machine as a backup for all their macs in their house. They have a couple. At first I was interested in telling him to get a Drobo and then connecting that directly to his Airport Extreme but people are saying that's slow and with more than 1 client, it may be really slow.

Some people are suggesting the Synology (DS412+) solutions, but I don't really want him to run into any issues, such as Time Machine not being able to verify backups and having him forced to create a new one.

What do you suggest?

A requirement must be that it supports RAID 1 (so he has mirrored drives).

Thanks for your help.

Mel

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A lot depends on the total data volume that needs to be backed up. If a 3 TB time capsule is adequate that would be the simple slution. I use an older Synology with time machine and have never had a problem. Another option is an online backup solution like Crashplan.

Why does he need the fault tolerance of Raid 1? It does not provide an additional backup, just fault tolerance in the event of a drive failure. Ida backupgetscorrupted on one drive,it's corrupted on both.

3. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup that's what he wants. Thinking of goingbwith a synology ds415+. And right now they are using 4tb of backup storage.