Time Machine Backups not Working after 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SteinMaster, Aug 8, 2009.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Anyone else have this problem:

I just updated to 10.5.8 and my Time Machine will not backup. It is stuck at "Preparing Backup". I tried rebooting and it did not work.

I have a MacBook Pro UB late 2008. I am backing up to a Time Capsule.

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

You have to be patient. There are a lot of updated files after the 10.5.8 upgrade. TM performs a differential backup everytime, so whenever there are a lot of changed files since your last backup, the next one you make, will take a long time to index.

How long did you wait? Check your disk activity with Activity Monitor and you will indeed see that when TM is in "Preparing Backup" state, it is reading files.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well Time machine has to inspect the huge OS X install update to see what has changed. This is normal after most any OS X update so be patient.

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Mine took about 2-3 hours to move off that message so.... Patience young apprentice! :p

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If it seems stuck on "Preparing Backup" go check the system log for a message like this:

Aug 5 14:08:25 Jasons-MacBook-Pro /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[325]: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Mal
    Aug 5 14:08:25 Jasons-MacBook-Pro /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[325]: Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs|kFSEDBEventFlagReasonEventDBUntrustable|

If you see it, it means Time Machine has to get it's backup "shopping list" the hard way by checking files for updates, instead of getting a list from FSEvents like it normally does. "Preparing" will take AGES, but it will finish eventually. This is pretty normal after an OS X point release, Worse, when you just installed a point release, there is normally a LOT of stuff that changed, so the long scan of the file system is usually followed by copying a gig or two to the backup drive.

tl;dr: TM takes forever after a 10.*.* update, let it run for awhile, it's normal.

6. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Thanks! It has been running for about 1.5 hours. I will wait it out. Just figured out I had to turn-off auto log-out in security preferences. My machine was logging out when I was letting it back-up causing a back-up error. I have successfully backed-up.

7. wthudson macrumors newbie

Same problem but...

48 hours later, no joy. I tried Disk Utility to clean-up the disk, etc. still, no joy. I dumped my old back-up - I had a copy - and tried to runi it from scratch. Same problem. Ever since 10.5.8 went in my TIme Machine backups are hosed.

8. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I called Apple Support when the backup was running. They said they were not aware of any issues with Time Machine after the 10.5.8 upgrade. I did have to turn off my auto log-out in System Preferences>Security. At first, my back-ups were not working because my MacBook was logging out before the back-up completed. Try turning off auto log-out and make sure your computer does not sleep.

9. wthudson macrumors newbie

Fixed

The culprit was the latest Mozy update. I uninstalled it and everything is back to 'normal'.

It looks like they posted an update that resolved the issue. I'm testing it now.

10. RainbowOfBeans macrumors member

RainbowOfBeans

Didnt notice.

Until i just read this thread i couldn't figure out why my TM wasn't backing up. After having it over a year its worked fine, now its just a wireless router with no back ups in over a month!! I can't do much with apple because its not under apple care now! Anyone have idea's?!?1:eek:

11. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Oh yeah,people, read this