time machine backups not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by psywzrd, Mar 12, 2013.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Within the past week or so I started getting messages about my startup disk being full (this is on a 2008 MacBook running 10.6.8). Not coincidentally, around that same time I noticed that my TM backups were failing (this is after almost 5 years of backing up without a problem). After some troubleshooting, it looked like my TC's hard drive was failing and my backups were being cached on my MB's hard drive.

Anyway, I bought a brand-new 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive and popped it into the TC. Airport Utility recognized the drive and I was able to erase it via the Utility; however, I'm still having a really hard time getting Time Machine to back up successfully.

I've tried renaming the Time Capsule, changing the password, disconnecting all users, rebooting, etc. I did manage to get it to backup once (wired) but subsequent backups have failed (sparsebundle cannot be acccessed or sparsebundle cannot be created). I'm also not 100% convinced that the backup it did is a usable backup.

The TC is in bridge mode because the wireless portion of it is no longer functioning reliably so I am using it strictly for TM backups. It's connected to my router (Netgear r6300) via ethernet and it had been working fine like that until these recent problems, so nothing about my configuration has changed.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

2. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Just a quick update. I connected my MacBook to the TC via ethernet cable and it backed up fine, so it looks like this problem is isolated to wireless backups only. Like I said, it had been working fine under this configuration for a while now (TC in bridge mode), so I don't see why it would stop working all of a sudden.

Any help is greatly appreciated.