Time Machine Backups Only go back 2 months??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olletsocmit, Jul 7, 2015.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I just looked back to see how far my time machine backups go and was very surprised to see that its only going back about 2 months... I have it connected to a 6TB external and manually backup about 2-3 times a week. its not where close to full. I have have checked "to alert me when it deletes old backups for new ones" and it has never done that. Anyone know why its only backed up about 2 months? There is no space issue, how is it determining that it should be deleting older ones?

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Curious, I never had that issue. I am not at my mac atm. When did this start. New computer, iOS etc. Did you check Time machine settings and see if there is a setting to change it.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't be - it will keep backups for as long as possible, space permitting and then only when the disk is full will it start deleting really old ones.

Are you sure it's been set up for longer than 2 months? Or are you sure that the deltas it has are different for data older than 2 months?

Maybe your TM got turned off accidentally 2 months ago and it made a new backup. Check the disk to see if there's any evidence of older backups that it's not keeping track of.

4. dav1dd, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

IIRC, when I went from Mavericks to Yosemite I had to move to a new time machine drive (for my next backup) as I was warned (somewhere - can't remember) that my next backup would wipe the disk and start over. Maybe 2 months ago you upgraded your OS and that 'reset' it? PS: I also had plenty of free space, but suspect a single time-machine backup drive doesn't like being multiple OSs???

Edit: I remember now - it was when I rolled back from Yosemite 10.10.2 to 10.10.1 - that's when it warned me that a future backup would wipe the disk (I think). So I went out and bought a new disk. You didn't happen to do a restore, did you?