Time machine backups question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skika, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Skika macrumors 68030

Hi,

i have a question about Time machine. I have an external disk on which i do my backups with time machine. I also have an external firewire disk on which i save all of my Logic and Reason projects. When i do the backup it just backs up the internal disk, can i make Time machine backup those two project folders as well??

Thanks! :eek:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences > Time Machine > Options...

Is the external HD listed there? If it is, click the minus sign to remove it

3. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh, i see... but that just gives me the option to choose the firewire disk to backup as whole, but i want to choose just two folders from that disk?

4. dXTC, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Actually, that list is an exclusion list. If you want Time Machine to back up those two folders, then you must remove the drive itself from that list, then add back the subfolders that you don't care about backing up. TM will back up everything else not listed there.

Oh, and from one musician to another: You do NOT want to have Time Machine running automatically while working in Logic or Reason, as these can be large files that change often. Turn Time Machine off when doing music.

5. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

Tnx a lot! I shall do this. I actually have Time machine turned off most of the time, i manually do backups. I usually do them after every session.

Again tnx for the advice !