Resolved Time Machine Backups... Should I use Portable HD OR Standard HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maschil, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Maschil, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Hey Guys. Basically I have a 256GB SSD as my standard HD, and im wondering what do you all suggest...

Should i use a portable 1TB HDD w/ time machine or should i just use a power outlet Hard drive that would probably have much more storage???? Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use both,

First the advantages of the portable HD is that you can take the backup offsite, so your data is protected in case something happens at home. Secondly the standard external drive also holds a back up.

So my non portable drive is backup regularly, where as the portable one gets refreshed about every other week, if I remember to bring home from the office.

3. jahala macrumors regular

I find the portable hard drives to be more reliable in external enclosures. I have had drive failures with three 3.5" drives in enclosures. I have lost zero 2.5" drives in enclosures.

4. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

OOOH thanks... so your saying to do two seperate time machine backups?

----------

thanks i never considered that either... hmm

5. Stewart21, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013

Stewart21 macrumors regular

Me too. In fact I back up all our machines to three drives. Two of them are kept in the house and the third lives with my brother-in-law. I keep his offsite backup drive in my firesafe. I also do Cloud backups. You can't have too much redundancy.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my offsite backup, but yes. I maintain two backups. One that is time machine based and provides up to date backups.

I also have one for offsite storage. God forbid, but what happens of you had a fire in your house or a theft, in either case your external drive will be ruined or taken. Onsite backups is great to protect against hardware failure but it doesn't protect your data if something happens to the external drive.

7. mic j macrumors 68030

I do as you do but using SuperDuper, but I have 2 portable drives. I use TM for immediate smallish issues. I keep 1 SD backup (the most recent) at home, in case I have to a total restore. I keep the other SD backup in a safety deposit box for exactly the situation you site. I exchange them each month, so I will lose a months data if I need to use it, but hopefully that is a huge longshot and losing a month is a lot better than losing it all.

8. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

thanks guys i ended up getting superduper since i dont want to purchase carbon copy

i think i will use 2 portable hd's thx