Time Machine Backups Slow/Stuck

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by MattZani, Oct 25, 2014.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Ever since I updated to Yosemite, Time Machine hasn't worked, it's either really slow/stuck, never seeming to get past a few kb of a backup. It's a USB2 External HDD that worked great up until now.

Anyone got any ideas? Or has problems as well?

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Have you 'Repaired Permissions?' I find that when Time Machine stalls, by entering the backup folder, and deleting the stalled 'in progress' file (which requires the comp PW, and a long trash-dump), then rebooting comp - fixes the problem.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Got to 110mb and then just hung, progress file wouldn't delete but now has, as had the new one. Time to try again.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes. There is a process the controls WiFi and Time Machine and it is the discoveryd process. So disconnect any wireless plus Time Machine and go to /Applications/Utilities/Activity Viewer and restart the discoveryd process. Then turn your wireless and Time Machine back on. Try this to see if it helps.

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I don't use a time capsule, it's a USB2 drive but I'll give it a shot.

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Okay, none of the above worked alone, but doing it all at once, then restarting the system seems to have done it.

7. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue ever since updating to El Capitan GM build. Could you tell me what you did to fix it? El Capitan doesn't let you repair file permission. Did you delete the inprogress file and restart discoveryd process, reboot, and that fixed it?