Time machine backups viewing in finder

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applejacker, Sep 27, 2012.

1. applejacker macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I managed to use time machine on this imac I am trying to fix. I backed up the machine to an external hd that was formated by time machine. When I click on the time machine icon and "enter time machine" everything shows up in the finder window showing the desktop items.

I have an icon on the desktop called time machine backups. I can can check out the backup contents but not by the nice view other people seem to have with the contents showing in a smooth nice graphical rolling view with the dates on the right hand side and arrows to go back in time.

Am I missing something?

2. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

3. applejacker thread starter macrumors newbie

I see it did quite a few backups. I am thinking it is just a problem with this imac. As I know it did back up the files I am trying to reinstall the os but not having much luck lol macs are a mystery to me lol I thought I would just put the disk in and follow the steps lol but I don't think I am going to be able to even do that lol maybe the hd is bad.

4. Bacci macrumors newbie

I suppose you're looking for something more complicated than clicking on the Time Machine icon on the top right of your screen and selecting "Enter Time Machine"?

5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Yes, I think you're clicking on the wrong thing. When Time Machine makes a backup, it creates a file on the desktop called 'Time Machine Backups', that's where it writes the changed details locally before going to the backup drive. To see backups you should either click time machine icon on top of screen as Bacci suggest or look for a time machine icon in your tray at the bottom of the screen (looks like clock with arrow going counter clockwise).

6. applejacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I am clicking on the right thing, I even watched lots of youtube videos on it lol

I know I have the backups but I can't get the install disk to reinstall the os now. I am going to have to look up the right steps to do this. I thought it would be just as easy as putting the disk in and clicking continue but that is not working for me lol

Am I supposed to erase the old hd first? Does anyone have a good resource that might help me?

Thank you.