Time machine backups with filevault

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macfly4, Sep 8, 2011.

1. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

Anyone using time machine with a file vault encrypted MBA? i decided to go ahead and turn on file fault since if i did ever lose this laptop i would hate for someone to be able to get into it. just wondering how this affects backups on time machine. given the entire drive is encrypted how does the backup store data? does it incrementally store encrypted versions of the new stuff or does it have to do a complete rewrite of the entire drive every time?
    i have the 256gb drive mba11 so will i be ok getting a 500gb external drive to use for Timemachine?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Read this regarding FileVault and Time Machine:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2433342?start=0&tstart=0

Further, I don't recommend using FileVault if you have a choice. There are file corruption or performance issues that can arise.

You could just set a Firmware password for some extra protection.

Either way, if someone really wanted to get into your files, they could.

Hope this helps.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I just turned on FV2 - this new version in Lion is much more performant than previous versions. Additionally, it plays much nicer with Time Machine than before.

4. macfly4 thread starter macrumors member

macfly4

thanks for the link. will check it out.

----------

just read through that discussion. problem is , that was about the OLD time machine as it took place in mid 2010. the new time machine/file vault have been changed and supposedly work differently together. i had read other posts about this subject so not sure what to say...