Time Machine Backups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mike1967, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Mike1967 macrumors newbie

I have a G5 Tower with Leopard 10.5.2 installed. I have a (now measley) 160 GB internal HD that I am using Time Machine to back up to a Maxtor external 250GB HD.
    My internal drive is almost full, and my backup is almost full. With a 90GB difference between the two, why is my external so maxed out? I realize that TM is keeping backups of items I deleted on my internal drive, but 90 gigs worth? You can't even delete items on the backup (maybe you can with TM turned off?). My question: will TM continue to backup my data until my external HD explodes? I am thinking about buying a 1TB Time Capsule or a ReadyNas drive (assuming it works with Leopard), but I assume these will fill up as well.

Any thoughts or direction here is greatly appreciated!!

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

time machine should realize your running out of space and delete old backups, then it should free up some space

3. Mike1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Machine Backups

Thanks for a quick reply. Is there a point where this kicks in (i.e. 5GB left then it deletes)? I'm currently at around 7 gigs remaining on the backup drive. Can this feature be adjusted by the user?

Thanks!

4. Diggity-Dan macrumors member

As far as I know, it just deletes the oldest backup as it needs to. My external has already ran out of space. One day, after TimeMachine finished doing a backup, a message popped up saying that it had ran out of space and that it deleted the oldest backup.