Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Hello All,

I couldn't find an answer to this by searching but I am wondering how thorough is Time Machine? I know it records additions, modifications of files between backups however what I am wondering if I have already used Time Machine and I decide to do some 'housekeeping' with my files and move them around my hard drive will it resave those files again at their new destination folder? Is it smart enough to know that I simply moved the files and they have not been modified so no resave is needed (as that'd be a waste of space) ??

Any and all advice/input regarding the topic would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 500 GB hard drive and am considering getting a 1 TB external hard drive to begin using Time Machine. I recently had the HD crash on my blackbook after owning it for 3.5 years and lost everything. Yes, I'm an idiot, and I have learned a painful lesson. I now have finally loaded all my music back on my new HD and it took about 50 hours of work and I want to begin backing up my files as needed.

Please advise.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I am wondering if I have already used Time Machine and I decide to do some 'housekeeping' with my files and move them around my hard drive will it resave those files again at their new destination folder? Is it smart enough to know that I simply moved the files and they have not been modified so no resave is needed (as that'd be a waste of space) ??

Unfortunately not, it'll back them all up all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.