Time Machine broken since OSX update

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by nightlong, Jun 1, 2014.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Anyone else having this problem?

I have 2 usb3 external drives, both just over a year old, both not working after the latest Mavericks update. One drive is just Time Machine, the other bigger drive is partitioned with TM and Cabon Copy Cloner. When the latter refused to backup, thought the disk was faulty, erased, partitioned again, still wouldn't work. Tried the TM-only disk, it starts but then gets stuck.

Both worked perfectly when I backed up before the update.

Called Apple. I'm reluctant to do a clean install when I can't first do TM backup. So Apple Support suggested a fresh OS install via recovery partition. Did that, then repaired permissions. Made no difference.

Would be helpful to know if this is happening to anyone else before I take the next step. Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you getting an error when trying to use TM? Did you look at the console logs to see any messages?

I'm on the latest version and I've not run into any issues with TM.

3. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

You can check the Time Machine logs on the console. There's a very handy widget that can filter out the Time Machine logs from the console and can be downloaded from here: http://www.bluedog.com.au/default/Time_Machine_Buddy.html

Post here a copy of your logs and someone may be able to help or maybe you'll be able to identify what's going on. ;)

4. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Not sure how to do console logs. Is that in terminal? The partitioned disk said can't back up, needs to be formatted, or something like that. The TM only disk, gave no error message, but took nearly half an hour to get beyond 'preparing to back up' then just stopped after about 1 GB, no message.

----------

Okay, thank you.

5. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Like I said, download and install Time Machine Buddy and copy/paste the logs it shows up. Then you'll be a step closer to finding out what's happening behind the scenes. ;)

6. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Our previous emails crossed over, I'd written the reply before I saw yours, even though yours appears first.