Time Machine Cannot See Externally Mounted HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GLOC, Oct 6, 2013.

1. GLOC macrumors member

I have a MBP running Mountain Lion and and a Mac Mini running OS X (10.4.11).

I have an external 2Gb drive plugged into the USB port of the Mac Mini which has a copy of the Time Machine backup done through USB directly through the USB port (home wifi network too slow).

Whilst I can see the external drive if I go through Finder and I can see the Backups folder on this external drive, if I try to access the drive through TM so that TM can use it, TM cannot see the external drive.

Any ideas why this is the case?

The internal drive on the Mac Mini is too small. It is also an older MM, about to order Leopard because I want to get AirPlay and AirPrint to work. Is this likely to be a factor?

I also have a Synology NAS DS212j but again the external HDD when mounted through the USB port is not detected by TM and thought that mounting it to the MM might help things, but appears not.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try an option key click on the TM menu bar icon then choose Browse Other Backup Disks.

3. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that allows me to view the Time Machine back up but doesn't appear to let me select the HDD mounted on the MM as the target for the incremental backups through the TM.

Regards

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ohh... I misunderstood. To run a TM backup over the network to a Mini like that you will need to have OS X Server installed on the Mini.

That Synology should support Time Machine though, so I don't get why that won't work. :confused:

5. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Great....

Synology does, TM just doesn't appear to pick up the external drive. I just need to upgrade the Synology disks...

Regards