time machine capacity

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fisher1, Mar 24, 2008.

1. fisher1 macrumors newbie

I am using a Seagate external HD as my time machine backup. It has a 300GB capacity which is just about the same volume that is backed up. Consequently I never have more than 2-3 weeks worth of backup on TM as it deletes old backups to make room for new ones.

My question is - is there any reason to want more than 2-3 weeks worth of backups? ( I am not connected to a network or other computers). With this amount of backups is my entire system still protected? I guess I am hoping I won't have to buy a bigger HD.

Thanks in advance

Fisher1

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Curious is to why there is only a few weeks worth of backups. I would say if you're constantly deleting files, then you may want to get a bigger external HD. If this is really just a safety device in case your HD crashes, I don't think you need to go spend the money to buy a new HD. If you really want to be safe, I would suggest backing up your songs and files (most important to me) on data DVDs.

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You don't have to do anything. It depends on what you want from TM.

If you're like me and just want something that'll grab files from a day or two ago and save you in case of hardware failure than it's fine. If you want to be able to go back four years than for all intensive purposes, go to you're local big box electronics store and pick up a 500gb for $70-100.