Time Machine/Capsule making MacBook Pro freeze

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MFS2009, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MFS2009 macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro about a year ago now. It's running Leopard and for the first few months everything was great. After a few months my hard drive crashed. Thankfully they were able to save my files but after that I gave in and bought a Time Capsule. I sat there and let it do the initial back up which took well over 16 hours to complete. I had to leave the house while it was doing that. I came back and checked on it and it acted like it was done.

When I open up the Time Machine settings in System Preferences it makes it seem as if the data was put there as it reads that 90 gb of the memory in the time capsule has been used which is about what I have on my hard drive. Now, it doesn't say when the last backup or oldest back up was which kind of concerns me. Now that the initial back up is done, any time it starts to do another backup, if I'm running ANYTHING, it freezes and the only way I can get it to stop is to force the computer off with the power button which I don't like doing. What's going on here? Why is this program making everything freeze up on me? I have turned it off for now because I don't want to hard boot my computer again. What do I need to do so I can make sure all of my files get backed up but I don't have to deal with Time Machine making my compute freeze all the time?

2. rmchale macrumors regular

I can pretty much get Leopard 10.5.8 or Snow Leopard to freeze every time by transfering files continuously for several hours.