Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, but it will definitely need to be two partitions. If you only use one partition the CCC clone will erase the Time Machine backup.

I think there are a few ways to configure CCC. What you say is probably true if you are building a bootable volume.

I use CCC a different way. I point it at a directory on a HDD... and use it to incrementally backup my "media" folders which includes my "Movies, Photos, Music" folders. Every time I attach one of these drives... CCC automatically launches, and copies (syncs) my media over. Other directories on the same external drive remain untouched.

/Jim

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I've got a USB3 drive partitioned with CCC and Time Machine both fully backed up in their own partitions, for MacBook Air. My iMac has its own Time Machine backup. Another external drive stores all my music, photos, videos - only some of these on the computers.

In my experience you can never have too many backups!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think there are a few ways to configure CCC. What you say is probably true if you are building a bootable volume.

I use CCC a different way. I point it at a directory on a HDD... and use it to incrementally backup my "media" folders which includes my "Movies, Photos, Music" folders. Every time I attach one of these drives... CCC automatically launches, and copies (syncs) my media over. Other directories on the same external drive remain untouched.

/Jim

I agree. I do that to make a second backup of documents and the iPhoto library. My concern was the word "clone" was mentioned and that implies a bootable backup... which would wipe anything else on that partition. Just did not want to see the OP make a mistake based on this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The OP asked if they could put TM and CCC backups on the same drive, which they can. I prefer a CCC bootable clone, which requires a separate partition.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, although I would prefer to have the CCC clone in a separate partition.

The OP asked if they could put TM and CCC backups on the same drive, which they can. I prefer a CCC bootable clone, which requires a separate partition.

Yes, and your answer used the word "clone" which implies something other than just backing up some folders... hence my warning.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, and your answer used the word "clone" which implies something other than just backing up some folders... hence my warning.
This is what the OP asked:
Is it allowable to put both TM & CCC backups on the same drive?
The answer is yes. You can put both TM and CCC backups on the same drive, as I said in my first post:
I then offered an alternative to backups:
although I would prefer to have the CCC clone in a separate partition.

Yes, but it will definitely need to be two partitions. If you only use one partition the CCC clone will erase the Time Machine backup.
This is false for what the OP asked, which was about backups, not clones. You don't need two partitions for backups; only for bootable clones.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is false for what the OP asked, (snip)

Just knock it off already. I was concerned the wording of your post including the word clone might mislead the OP into thinking he could use one partition for a clone and he would lose his TM backup. Why do want to turn this into one of your petty little back and forth nit pick threads again. Let it go.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just knock it off already. I was concerned the wording of your post including the word clone might mislead the OP into thinking he could use one partition for a clone and he would lose his TM backup. Why do want to turn this into one of your petty little back and forth nit pick threads again. Let it go.

I very clearly said "clone in a separate partition". There is nothing misleading about that. What is potentially misleading is "Yes, but it will definitely need to be two partitions.", which is not true unless a bootable clone, rather than a backup, is involved.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I very clearly said "clone in a separate partition". There is nothing misleading about that. What is potentially misleading is "Yes, but it will definitely need to be two partitions.", which is not true unless a bootable clone, rather than a backup, is involved.

It is just not possible to have a civil disagreement with you is it? I did not say you were wrong or even insult your mother. I simply said I had a concern OP may misunderstand your comment. If you don't agree, that is just fine. Why does that bother you to the point we need to have another one of your pedantic multi-quote threads. Just move along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.