Time Machine - Changing Backup Time.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by olletsocmit, Oct 15, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I have looked into this a lot already. It is to much that Time Machine backs up every single hour! It would be nice to set it to something like 3 or 5 hours. I have tried a 3rd party app to do this, but... If my computer was off or asleep when it was supposed to back up, it would get an error. It would not just do the backup when i turned it on or when it came out of sleep like stock Time Machine does. I have also seen a way to change the time incraments in the Terminal. (I am very good with it, not a noob) I have tried this and it screws up time machine completely. Maybe it does not work with the newest OS X. By the way... I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, got it 2 months ago.

Does anyone know a solid 3rd party app, that will work seamlessly. Or has anyone changed the time in Terminal and are currently using something different than 1 hour. There is a lot of examples online, but I would like the codeing that you literally used.

Thanks so much guys.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i'm using Cocktail to change hourly b/ups to every 4 hours and have not encountered any problems.

i also had good experiences with TimeMachineEditor.

3. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

When using Cocktail.. if you have ur Mac in sleep or off when it hits the 4th hour to backup, does it jsut auto backup when it comes out of sleep or does it miss that backup and then it will be an 8 hour gap

Thanks for your help. These apps look great.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

basically, my Mac's back up almost immediately after waking up from sleep. i think it's a built-in feature of time machine.

if the Mac's are awake, they will stick rigorously to the 4 hour schedule.