Time Machine Compressing Files???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motomike27, Mar 30, 2009.

1. motomike27 macrumors newbie

I'm using Time Machine (for the first time) to back up my system (Mac Pro w/750Gb internal drive and a firewire 750Gb external backup). However, when looking at the contents of my external backup drive after Time Machine has finished, I notice there is sizeable difference between the amount of data on my internal and external drives.

To confuse matters more, I repeated the backup 3 separate times on the same internal volume (357Gb worth of data) and each time Time Machine yielded a different size backup; ranging from 343Gb to 350Gb. Each time I have "erased" the external drive using Disk Utility prior to running Time Machine.

After digging around I found at least some of the difference lies within the Movies_IDVD Projects folder. I have only a few projects but it appears that Time Machine randomly chose a few of the larger ones to compress?? Either that or it did not back them up all the way. These files were roughly 2-4Gb in size on my internal and only 200kb on the backup drive.

Are there other files that Time Machine is either compressing or not backing up? Should I use Time Machine at all or should I copy the files I want backed up by dragging them to the external? I would like to be able to restore my system to its current state one day if/when my intenal drive craps out (including all of my apps, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Probably something isn't being backed up. Time Machine doesn't compress anything.