time machine confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nuks, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

hey all,

I just bought a new 160gb drive and a USB enclosure for it. I want to put the 160gb in my macbook and use the original 60gb drive for backup. What's the best way to go about transferring files from the 60 to the 160? I read about resotring from time machine, but i'm a little confused as to how exactly it works.

Do I put the 160 in the enclosure, backup all the files onto it, install it into my macbook, and then choose restore from time machine once I've re-installed the OS?

or do i install a fresh 160, then put the 60gb in the enclosure and restore from backup that way?

or is there an easier way?

Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since you already have an enclosure there is a much easier way-- first just temporarily install the new one in the enclosure. Then download the free Carbon Copy Cloner first. Then format your new drive (as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition table map) and run CCC to make an exact copy (hence the word cloner in the title) to your new drive. Then shut down everything and swap the drives- boot up again with your new drive and enjoy!

By the way, you can do this by installing the new drive in the Mac first too- just install it, then hold down the Option key to select your old drive (which would be in the enclosure) to boot from and then do the formatting and CCC copy. I prefer to do new ones externally first in order to save time just in case there is any problem with the drive itself. If there is then you don't have to pull it out of the Mac again.

3. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

probably the best idea, but not sure if it would work in my situation.

I'm living in a different city than my os x install disc, and therefore, I'm going to have to use an install disc from my school. Being as busy as I am, I don't really have time to immediately re-install the OS after carbon copying. I thought it would be a little easier if I could use time machine so that when i got time to re-install the OS I could make a final time machine backup and quickly have all my files on the new drive.

However, the way you worded your post made it seem like i might not even need to re-install if I use CCC... Am i just able to make a clone and then swap in the new drive and it will be EXACTLY like the old (with the os already on it?)

Thanks.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes. Exactly.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Correct- that is just the point of why I said it was simpler. No OSX installation or TM or anything required. CCC simply clones the drive's entire contents onto the new drive. Starting up from a freshly cloned drive will be identical to starting up from your drive now- there will just be more free space on the new larger drive. ;)

6. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow.. good to know! I just saved myself a few weeks with 700mbs of internal space!

Thanks everyone