Time Machine crashed computer, now it won't start up! Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scorpsjl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. scorpsjl macrumors newbie

Hi,

Here's what happened:

My roommate just lost his data, so I realized I needed to back up. I plugged in an external hard drive (it was an internal that we put into casing bought from OWC, if that matters). I wasn't thinking about Time Machine but it displayed a message, so I said yes, backup onto the hard drive. Then while it was backing up I was just reading a document, the machine crashed. I swiveled my desk to get something and this caused the external hard drive to fall, for a second it was dangling from the USB. (I'm not sure if that's relevant but...)

I first restart (held down the power button), since nothing was happening. At that point the hard drive was making a weird rhythmic clicking sound. Then it wouldn't start up! I tried this twice. Blank gray screen. I reset the PRAM (was that a bad idea?) and when it started again, I get a folder icon with a blinking question mark, over a gray background. Then I freaked out because this was what happened to my roommate, so I haven't touched the computer since.

Anyone have any consolation or advice? Will I get my data back? What could have gone wrong? What to do now? (Local help centers only open on Monday..) Is it worth it to take a train for an hour to go to an apple store right now?

Thanks!

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

To be honest, it sounds like your hard drive just failed, and the whole backup thing was a just a freaky coincidence. Hope the backup finished...