Time Machine - Current HDD full, how to transfer to new HDD????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by King Luis, Oct 10, 2008.

1. King Luis macrumors 6502

basically, my current HDD hooked up to my airport is 1gb away from being full. i'm going to buy a larger HDD this weekend and was wondering how to transfer my current HDD backups to my new one without disrupting the backed info and still keeping my macbook backing up to it.

help?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

According to Apple:

Backing up to a full disk.

One day, no matter how large your backup drive is, it will run out of space. And Time Machine has an action plan. It alerts you that it will start deleting previous backups, oldest first. Before it deletes any backup, Time Machine copies files that might be needed to fully restore your disk for every remaining backup. (Moral of the story: The larger the drive, the farther back in time you can back up.)

Just wanted to make sure you were aware that you don't necessarily need a new hard drive, if you are OK with Time Machine deleting your oldest back up.

3. King Luis thread starter macrumors 6502

ya, but the problem is i have stuff i deleted/backed up that i want to keep and don't want it being deleted at all.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Personally I wouldn't use Time Machine like that. Its meant for backups, not as primary storage. If you've got a file you want to keep, but not on your main HD, then get a second HD or put it on a CD. If you store files on your Time Machine that you don't have anywhere else, then these files will be lost if your Time Machine drive fails.