Time machine, data consumption

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baiyang, Feb 11, 2009.

1. baiyang macrumors newbie

baiyang

After a catastrophic HD crash I bought a small 250GB external hard-drive an started to use Time machine. Since my Mac was freshly formatted, I tend to keep it tidy and clean and keep good track of what comes in.

I noticed my time machine backing up 15 GB of data which allegedly would have been added within two days. I could absolutely not trace this on my computer nor when I compared current folder contents with the most recent backup.

Downloads, Apps., System are all excluded from my time-machine and couldn't represent such a dramatic data increase on my separate HD.

Any clue anybody?

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Do you have Entourage installed? I find that I'm backing about about 2.2GB at a time I think it's because of that. Other options are the Time Machine Backup itself (not sure if this is possible but I excluded it) and VMWare images (mine is 12.5GB).

3. baiyang thread starter macrumors newbie

baiyang

I work without entourage so that couldn't be a problem.

I looked up the voluminous folders with omnidisk sweeper. It turned out there are some heavy folders in the library such as Printers, Application support, documentation and updates. I excluded them for the time being. Might it be possible to exclude the entire library folder since e-mail, addresses, calendars etc. are located in the library folder of the actual user?

This all still does not explain why a backup contains such a dramatic data-increase. I presume that the particular data was already backed up when I did a second, third, etc. backup; my internet is simply not fast enough to import such vast amounts of data in two days.

There is no other explanation than that time-machine is backing up double files in some cases.

Anyone?