Time Machine deleted (almost) all my backups!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Topher15, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I just restored my system early this evening with Time Machine. After doing some stuff tried to run a back up and noticed that it was deleting far more backups than necessary:

:eek:

It seems like it thinks it has to backup the whole drive, and so is deleting everything to make up the space. At best I've copied a few GB over from another drive. Either way, it's strange that is requested 308.08 GB given that my iMac HD only has 264 GB of stuff. :confused:

This Apple article seems to confirm this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1338

Is there any way to just do an incremental backup? I don't want to loose my (remaining) previous backups is possible?

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Time Machine always runs incremental backups. Only the files that have been changed will be backed up in subsequent sessions.

3. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Did you read the Apple article:

Clearly in my case Time Machine is attempting to do a full backup, and not an incremental backup.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's very little you can do to change Time Machine's backup behavior other than altering the interval between automatic backups.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, I apologize. I read your post but neglected to click the link, and as such misunderstood what you were on about.

As miles says, Time Machine has very limited configuration. The only solution that I know of is to erase the drive and start a new backup.

6. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

No worries.

I ended up erasing the drive and starting my back ups again.

7. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

check your downloads folder. If you have something like a .iso downloading from torrents it will allocate the space required and then as it is downloading it will be updating that file causing it to be backed up every time. Also watch out for virtual machines for the same reason. You can tell time machine to miss out certain folders in its preference pane.