Time Machine - Deleting backups issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superman666, Apr 22, 2010.

1. superman666 macrumors regular

I have a 500GB external harddrive that uses TM and have recently wanted to free up some space, so stupidly I manually moved a ton of the backups ( i can't even imagine how many gigs ) to the trash. The trash bin now can't even fathom the amount of space and literally doesn't empty itself (it goes to like 140,000 items to delete and just keeps going). So I read that you're not supposed to delete TM backups this way but now I'm kind of screwed because I can't move the files from the trash to the External again cause it takes too much time. What the hell am I supposed to do?

Thanks

2. Xenophon macrumors regular

Open terminal and type the following:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/

You'll have to enter your admin pass, the command locates the user that's logged in home dir, goes to the Trash folder and then removes EVERYTHING in there without asking confirmation.

That should do the trick, just be sure you really want to get rid of everything in there.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the directory would be /Volumes/VolumeName/.Trashes/ instead of the home .Trash

this will remove all the backups you put in the Trash instantly. if you want to delete files from backup delete files from inside the Time Machine interface using the cog wheel button or just erase the whole drive in Disk Utility.

4. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

ahh thanks alot that seemed to do the trick.