Time machine didn't backup iTunes and iPhotos libraries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by louis731, Jan 18, 2010.

1. louis731 macrumors newbie

First I was lucky that I didn't trust this "time machine", I could've just formatted the drive after I did the time machine back up and end up wiping my entire itunes library, woohoo...

Here is what happend,

I only had two instances of time machine back up, both to the same external HD which has more than plenty of space.

The first TM backup was immediately after a fresh install of snow leopard, online updates, and some important apps. iTunes and iPhotos library was empty at that moment. I thought I'd just restore this backup when I need a fresh install later.

Then today I decided to wipe out everything on my MBP and have a fresh install, so I did the second TM backup in an expectation that it would back up everything new since the last backup, including my itunes and iphotos library.

It turned out that TM (treacherously) didn't do that and tell me backup was done (AKA the infamous FALSE TRUE, the worst scenario of logics). When I checked the backup directory on the external HD, and the itunes directory reported a miserable size of 123kb, which was supposed to be around 20gb.
    Same goes for the iPhotos library, there was no backup.

Abandoning this fashion machine, I manually copied the libraries, taking some time but at least I know what I'm doing.;)

Anyway, back to top, Is is a known issue or is TM designed in this way? ignoring iTunes and iPhotos

2. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

If you click on the Time Machine icon on the top right corner of your screen you click the "Open Time Machine Preferences...", you can check what is and what is not backed-up with Time Machine.
    Although I think the default Time Machine settings are set to back-up everything, it's a good idea to check what goes on there.