Time Machine: Does it allow specific, user-defined backups?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by munckee, Oct 28, 2007.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

Quick question about time machine: does it allow the user to set up multiple backups in addition to the general "backup my entire machine" setting? For example, can I set a specific folder to backup to a second external hard drive?

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Nope, not that I know of. I HOPE they allow this in the future. I keep all my pictures and music on externals anyway and would like to include just those folders in a backup.

3. Draddy macrumors regular

but you can also exempt files/folders from being backed up... you could technically exempt all but:

4. hob macrumors 68020

hob

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Yes, technically you could make a case that this is user-specific backup, but right, who wants to exempt all but that 1 thing you want to save? It seems to me alongside the "exempt" feature they could easily add "add to backup" and let you cherrypick what you want.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If there is only one thing you want to save, and you are sure what that one thing is, then just duplicate it or use any of the numerous cheap to free applications to back it up.

For the 96% of people who do not back up regularly, and whose "one thing" will be the thing they mistakenly trashed or the file they didn't know became corrupted, Time Machine is a dead simple way to back up all of your drives without having to think about it.