Time Machine doesn't back up external drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matei, Apr 5, 2008.

1. matei macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to get Time Machine to back up my external drives.

I've got a Mac Mini, with a LaCie Mini external drive attached via USB/Firewire. There is also another drive attached via the LaCie Mini's firewire hub. I'm trying to back up everything with Time Machine to a Time Capsule on my network.

Time Machine backs up the Mini's system drive with no problem, but ignores the f/w drives. Before I got the Time Capsule I used Time Machine to back up to each of the drives... but now when I try to back them all up to the Capsule they're just ignored!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Try looking in the options of your time machine. Make sure the disks you want to back up are not in the list, since that is the exceptions list.

3. matei thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip.

I did check, and none of those drives are in the exception list. As a matter of fact, the only thing that is in the exception list is the "backup of xxxxx", which appears to be the temporarily mounted TM drive on my desktop.

4. matei thread starter macrumors newbie

I started the backup last night and let it run. Oddly enough, it appears to be backing the attached drives up.

What led me in error was the fact that the little backup monitor stated "backing up xx of 44.5GB", the latter being how much space is used on my system drive.

When it got to 44.5GB, it suddenly started backing up more, ie "backing up 57gb of 57gb" and so on.

8 hours later, and we've backed up 195GB, so I guess it really is backing up the attached drives.