Time Machine doesn't recognize backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by feliperubin, Dec 28, 2014.

1. feliperubin macrumors newbie

Sorry to create another Thread about this but, after I did my first backup on my HD by usb port, I connected it to my AirPort Extreme and tried at least to configure Time Machine to work with it. So it had the capacity of 230 GB and currently it only has 42GB free.

My macbook doesn't recognize it as the HD i used last time and try to do a new backup, which won't fit on it. Is it normal? Did i made a mistake or something?

MacBook Pro 13 inch Late 2011
    OSX Yosemite
    16GB RAM

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I want to say yes - this is normal since as far as Time Machine is concerned it's a different drive.

Granted I could be wrong. All I k ow is that while you can back up to a HDD on a AirPort Extreme, it is not recommended as it can be less reliable than a TimeCapsule or a HDD directly connected to your Mac. This issue you are having may be one of those issues...

3. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

What you are saying is that if i connected it again by usb it should recognize it right?

4. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

5. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks! I actually just connected it to my Airport Because it has 2 partitions on for the Backup and another for an normal HD :)

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes.

Since you hadn't connected the drive to Time Capsule before, it saw it as a new device.

7. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Right on! As I said you can get it to work but it may not be as reliable as you would like. Hopefully another member can chime in!

8. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Any chance to make it recognize it?

Just because it would help me a lot that my mac made backups by itself

9. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Hmmm. Which AirPort Extreme do you have? It would appear that it should work natively with the newest one, as per here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204057

Is yours the tall towery one or the flat Mac Mini-esque one?

10. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

tall towery. AirPort Extreme

11. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Then it should work - but it looks like you'll have to bite the bullet and let it create a completely new backup. This is from the Setup Guide for your AirPort:

"Using Time Machine with Your AirPort Extreme
    If you connect a USB hard disk to your AirPort Extreme, you can use the Time Machine application to back up all your Mac computers, including your photos, music, movies, and documents.
    After you set up Time Machine, it automatically backs up your computer on a regular basis.
    Use Time Machine preferences to set up automatic backups, use a different backup disk, or adjust other settings.
    To set up or adjust Time Machine on a computer using Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later: 1 Choose Apple > System Preferences, and then click Time Machine.
    2 Slide the switch to ON.
    3 Click Select Disk.
    4 Choose your AirPort Extreme and click Use Disk.
    Important: Your first backup with Time Machine could take overnight or longer, depending on how much data you’re backing up. To speed up the initial backup, connect your AirPort Extreme to your computer using Ethernet. In each subsequent backup, Time Machine backs up only files that have changed since the previous backup, so the backups don’t take as long.
    If you shut down your Mac or put it to sleep during a backup, Time Machine stops the backup and then continues where it left off after your Mac starts up again.
    For more information about Time Machine, choose Help > Help Center from the Finder on Mac, and then enter Time Machine in the search field."

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1644/en_US/airport_extreme_80211ac_setup.pdf (Page 13)

I would do as it suggests, and let it back up over night.

12. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'll try it then.

Actually i misunderstood ethernet with usb :p because when I tried by Wi-Fi it took a long time (more than a day) but ok, i'll try it with an ethernet cable. Thanks.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:
    Want to save yourself a lot of headaches?

Download CarbonCopyCloner and give it a try.
    It's FREE to download and FREE to use for 30 days.

It will create a bootable clone of the internal drive -- just plug the backup in and you can boot from it, OR, it will "mount right up" on the desktop and you can copy whatever you wish from it.

CCC can also "archive" older files on your backup, in effect preserving older "versions" as does TM. Without the hassles you are experiencing now...