Time Machine doesn't recognize networked external...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by MacGeeky, Jan 17, 2010.

1. MacGeeky macrumors newbie

Was running out of room on my MacBook Pro - OS Leopard. I travel a lot and had corruption issues with all the hooking and unhooking of external drives so I did not want to connect directly to the MacBook. I want to network an external drive and so I've attached a 1 TB WB Essential drive (reformatted using Disk Utility) via USB to my Airport Extreme base. I have 2 partitions, one for iTunes, etc; and the other, ostensibly, for Time Machine. I can see it on the network, go to it, copy files to it, but Time Machine does see it on the network when I attempt to select it for backup - note, it did see it and backup to it when it was connected directly to the MacBook. Does anyone know why? It seems this should work, but I'm a little slow when it comes to networks. Any help, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Have you checked Apple Update for the Airport Update that made this possible yet?

3. mbestel macrumors member

Apple restricts this

Apple only allows Time Machine backups over the network to a Time Capule or Mac OS X Server.

I ended up getting around it with this:

http://www.netrev.com.au

Seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Mark