Time Machine Drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ethical, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ethical macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I've got a 320Gb drive that i used to use for Time Machine, but recently it hasnt been working, and has been disconnecting from my MacBook automatically (connected via USB). It would be in the middle of a backup, and then I'd get the "blah blah blah unplugged without ejecting" and "backup failed" dialog boxes. The drive was partitioned and both the time machine partition and the normal space partition would be ejected. i think its got something to do with my USB ports dying.

So anyway, i decided to plug it into a computer i've got running Windows Server 2008. It doesnt get ejected on this, so im wondering if im able to continue backing up to it via the network? I can access the normal space section of the drive fine via command+K and typing in the i.p address of the PC then selecting the volume, but i cant see the time machine partition (presumably because server 2008 cant see it). Time Machine preferences dont seem to allow me to select a networked volume to back up to (just an airport drive). Is there any way around this so that i can back up to it?

any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Luke

2. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000