Time Machine (Encrypted) Auto-mount issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 1959, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 1959 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 13" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012, OS X 10.10.1 - Yosemite) that I use both at work and at home for work. I have two time machine Firewire drives for redundant backups; one is at work and one is at home. When moving between home and work, I typically put the laptop to sleep after dismounting the time machine and any other drives attached to the MacBook at work/home. I reconnect when I arrive at home/work. This process has provided reliable physically separated redundant backups for several years now.

Recently I've encrypted both Time Machine disks.

Before encryption, the disks would always auto-mount at the new location immediately when connected to the computer. This made the redundant backup process completely painless. Now however, most times (but not all), the disks do not auto-mount (and of course don't ask for the encryption password). To mount them, I use Disk Utility. This works, and the password dialog appears and everything is fine. It's just sometime I don't notice the non-mounting, and non-backing up for a while, which is a risk for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens, or how to fix it so it will reliably automatically mount? Thanks.

[I've searched this and other archives to see if this problem has been addressed, and I couldn't find it, but it has been hard to uniquely search for this issue. Apologies if this has already been addressed]

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This part is what strikes me as off. When that box comes up and you enter the PW, did you check the box to save the PW in Keychain? If that box is checked, the next time it should mount on its own without that popup at all.

3. 1959 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have not checked the box to save the password to my Keychain.

It's been a week or so since my original post, and the behavior continues -- sometimes it mounts fine, other times, I need to explicitly mount it using disk utilities.

I will try the Keychain route now and see what happens and report back in a few days.

I've noticed several other buggy behaviors with Yosemite and the associated apps. For instance, links in Mail messages can't be opened "behind mail" or any other way using right mouse clicks any more. (They used to in older OS's) The menu appears, but nothing happens when a choice is selected (clicked on). Left click does work. I know this is another thread...

4. 1959 thread starter macrumors newbie