Time Machine Ends Backup After Calculating Changes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smithla542, Feb 9, 2010.

1. smithla542 macrumors newbie

I'm using a Time Machine widget and this is my record for the last backup:

Starting standard backup
    Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://TimeMachine@192.168.0.10/Volume_1
    Mounted network destination using URL: smb://TimeMachine@192.168.0.10/Volume_1
    Disk image /Volumes/Volume_1-1/Lars-MacBook-Pro_00254bbddcae.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Backup of My Mac
    Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup of My Mac/Backups.backupdb
    Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
    Waiting for index to be ready (100)
    Node requires deep traversal:/Users/Lara/Pictures/iPhoto Library reason:must scan subdirs|missed reservation|
    Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
    No pre-backup thinning needed: 57.14 GB requested (including padding), 303.26 GB available
    Error: (-36) SrcErr:NO Copying /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL to /Volumes/Backup of My Mac/Backups.backupdb/Lara’s MacBook Pro/2010-01-20-171642.inProgress/84D236AC-9012-4CCF-ABF8-639AA6BFE4BA/Macintosh HD/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS
    Stopping backup.
    Error: (-8062) SrcErr:NO Copying /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL to /Volumes/Backup of My Mac/Backups.backupdb/Lara’s MacBook Pro/2010-01-20-171642.inProgress/84D236AC-9012-4CCF-ABF8-639AA6BFE4BA/Macintosh HD/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS
    Copied 14 files (66.6 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.
    Copy stage failed with error:11
    Backup failed with error: 11
    Ejected Time Machine disk image.
    Ejected Time Machine network volume.

The log before this was:

Starting standard backup
    Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://TimeMachine@192.168.0.10/Volume_1
    Mounted network destination using URL: smb://TimeMachine@192.168.0.10/Volume_1
    Disk image /Volumes/Volume_1-1/Laras-MacBook-Pro_00254bbddcae.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Backup of My Mac
    Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup of My Mac/Backups.backupdb
    Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
    Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
    Node requires deep traversal:/Users/Lara/Pictures/iPhoto Library reason:contains changes|must scan subdirs|found in deep scan|missed reservation|
    Error: Flushing index to disk returned an error: 0
    Backup canceled.
    Ejected Time Machine disk image.
    Ejected Time Machine network volume.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Browse to the folder where Time Machine puts your backups. Find the sparsebundle file and open it with disk utility. Check it for errors. If the check never finishes, I know you are going to hate me for this, delete it and start a new sparsebundle and pray your system doesn't crash before the new backup is finished. Time Machine's dirty little secret is it does not always create a reliable backup. There are several things that can derail it. If you are backing up over wifi and your system sleeps, the sparsebundle gets corrupted. I'm not going to list all the ways lightning can strike your data, but if you comb through Apple's Software Updates for the last couple of years, almost all of them say something along the lines of "improved reliability of Time Machine backups..." I was one of the users sending my crash logs to Apple engineering around the time these updates were coming out. It was level 2 AppleCare that told me to delete my sparsebundle and start over. On 2 occasions. :eek: Happily I can report I back up wirelessly and have had no such incidents on Snow Leopard. Back when this was going on, I kept airport off and used a gigabit ethernet connection to make sure TM backups to my Time Capsule happened reliably. Oh. And I disabled sleep.

3. smithla542 thread starter macrumors newbie

You were right

Something was wrong with the sparsebundle and it could not be repaired in disk utility. I'm in the process of creating a new one and starting over. Hope this works. Thanks thus far.

4. smithla542 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to delete the sparsebundle from my NAS and it was stuck in the "preparing to delete immediately" mode all night long. Is there a way around this? I tried using the terminal "rm" command yet it did not work either.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You need to turn off time machine and leave it off. You may need to reboot your NAS and possibly log out and log back in to your Mac. All of these actions, provided you remember to turn off Time Machine FIRST, should result in an unlocked file you are able to delete from the gui.

You can then go into Time Machine, browse to your NAS and pick "use this volume for Time Machine" and it will create a new sparsebundle for you. Keep in mind that all the time you spend figuring this out, you do not have a valid backup. When this sort of crap happens to me, I plug in a spare usb hard drive and let TM back up to it until I have my NAS back online. Is your NAS an airport or a Time Capsule? If not, Apple doesn't "officially" support it. I know this is boneheaded but true. BTW, wherever you are backing up to, it works a lot better if the underlying filesystem is Apple and not something else (like FAT32).

6. smithla542 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I went over to D-Link's web site and took a look at the DNS-321. They even have an emulator so you can see how easy it is to set up before you buy one. It is probably running Linux which means the drives are formatted EXT3. When OS X tries to write to a drive, if the drive is HPFS (Apple) all the meta data is part of the file system. If the drive is "other", including fat32, ext3 and ntfs, the metadata is written to ._ files. If you are saving example.mp3, you get example.mp3 and you get a little 4k file called ._example.mp3. This means it can take longer to perform a backup to a non Apple media such as third party NAS. That's why Apple says it's "unsupported". That and the fact they want to sell you Apple NAS which is relatively expensive. At this point, I would use the D-Link utility to format the drives and start over and create a new sparsebundle on the freshly formatted drive.

You probably won't want to hear this but I suggest you stop using Time Machine with non-Apple hardware. Look for a backup program that uses a more traditional approach. There are a lot of freeware and shareware backup programs around. If you want to use time machine, either use it with a local usb disk formatted as an Apple filesystem or use it with a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with usb disks formatted with an Apple filesystem. The D-link costs $150 and an airport extreme is only $30 more but can connect a usb drive over the network to Time Machine. I have several non Apple NAS units, mostly by Buffalo and one by Iomega. I don't use any of them for Time Machine.